The commercial cleaning industry suffers from an alarming 200% annual employee turnover rate that results in poor cleaning outcomes and threats to occupant health--challenges efficiently addressed through outsourcing, and Vanguard Cleaning Systems of the Ozarks is here to help!
Combatting the Challenges of Cleaning Industry Turnover Through Vendor Quality and Consistency
Cleaning industry turnover rates average approximately 75% annually, top out as high as 200%, and range up to 400% for contract cleaning staff.
That means you're probably replacing your entire custodial staff roughly one to two times per year, and even more if your organization contracts with a provider that lacks consistency and quality incentives.
The high turnover rates result in several negative outcomes, including:
- Increased operational costs--approximately $5K per worker once all points are factored in, and;
- Decreased cleaning outcomes resulting in reduced occupant performance and productivity.
Calculating the Cost of Consistent Custodial Turnover
Depending on location, industry, and specialty, the cost of replacing a commercial cleaning worker, in general, can be calculated by adding:
- Hiring manager time and the amount of money required to recruit a prospect, including advertising.
- The time and cost of background checks.
- The cost of any temporary hires.
- The difficult-to-calculate, but very relevant, cost of decreased occupant productivity due to dissatisfaction with facility hygiene, increased illness, dampened morale, and reduced indoor air quality, and;
- The time and cost of training a new hire to get them up to speed.
For a small office building with five custodial workers at an average industry turnover rate of 75%, the annual expense for addressing custodial turnover is, conservatively, $18,750.
At 200%, it's $50K per year.
Why Custodial Workers Quit
In general, custodial workers tend to leave organizations at a higher rate than other industries due to several factors, including:
- Low pay.
- No training or opportunities for advancement.
- Little to no recognition for their contribution to the organization's success.
- Poor safety conditions and available protections, and;
- Substandard working environments.
How Outsourcing Through Vanguard Cleaning Systems of the Ozarks can Help!
Vanguard Cleaning Systems of the Ozarks is a Vanguard Cleaning Systems Master Franchise.
- Each of the cleaning franchises is independently owned and operated as a registered LLC.
- Every franchise business owner is afforded the opportunity to participate in industry-leading training on technologies, innovative practices, safety, and new products, and;
- Each franchise business owner is free to grow their business and income to whatever level they choose.
This creates an environment of entrepreneurialism that:
- Financially incentivized high-level performance, resulting in;
- Top-level cleaning outcomes.
This translates into Vanguard Cleaning Systems of the Ozarks' industry-leading:
- < 5 % Service Team attrition per customer, and;
- < 10% Service Provider attrition per Service Team.
References & Resources
- Knowing the math of hiring and retaining talent in the cleaning industry
- How Janitorial Turnover Impacts Your Business
Vanguard Cleaning Systems of the Ozarks' top-of-the-industry service provider and service team retention rate translates into better cleaning outcomes for its customers, which means happier, more productive facility occupants, and better financial bottom lines.
Need a vendor with a consistent top-level retention and performance record?--Let’s talk.
In Oklahoma, dial 918-960-4450
In Arkansas, dial 479-717-2410
In Missouri, dial 417-812-9777